Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Slave, Chris Lewis

I must not be doing the same thing as everyone else because I started reading The Slave instead The Good Book so I'm going to write about that instead. The first thing that I noticed is how the chapters are set up. Like the Bible, The Slave has different books that are set up into smaller chapters and then lines. I found this to be an interesting similarity that I'm sure is not by coincidence. The biggest factor of this story that draws me in is the struggle Jacob has between his disires and his faith. Initially he is such a strong believer, and resists all temptations of the flesh, but all it takes is one slip up and all his ideals crumble around him. Almost imediately his work ethic, as well as his relationship with the animals he is working with become weaker, and his identity changes. He begins to question what once used to be his foundation as a man. I have now reached the point where he is going back to Wanda becasue of the visions he is having of her and his child. It is intreging to see how split and lost a man can become once his belief system is questioned. I feel that many have gone through the same feelings, certainly not to this sort of extreem, where they are confused and longing for something to believe in. While this may be a fictional story, there are aspects that are certainly real and relate to the everyday life even in the time period we are in now. This story also relates to many in the Bible like Soloman, David, and others who once had faith and then lose it for a woman or some other disire they have. It seems to be a repeating theme not only in the literature of our time frame, but in stories thousands of years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment